DOBBINS ARB STUDY AREA
The Dobbins ARB JLUS Study Area encompasses the areas surrounding Dobbins Air Reserve Base (ARB) that are influenced by military operations - particularly the three key jurisdictions of Cobb County and the cities of Marietta and Smyrna.
Dobbins ARB consists of 1,633 acres in the City of Marietta, approximately 20 miles northwest of Atlanta in north-central Georgia. The Base comprises multiple facilities including the Air Reserves, Clay National Guard Center, and a Lockheed Martin/Air Force aeronautics facility. It is the largest multi-service reserve training base in the world. The installation has extensive airspace, including critical Military and Low-Level Training Routes within all directions of the installation.
Dobbins ARB provides unique and irreplaceable assets for the nation's military, Georgia's National Guard and the Lockheed Martin/Air Force facility. Nearly 50 aircraft are assigned to different flying units with more than 7,000 take-offs and landings monthly. Dobbins ARB maintains combat-ready units that deploy on short notice to support operations around the world and is the only remaining U.S. military facility in northern Georgia since the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure Act recommendations.
Dobbins Air Reserve Base is:
- Headquarters for the 22nd Air Force responsible for recruiting and training reservists, maintaining the highest level of combat readiness, and providing combat-ready airlift, support units, and personnel requirements to the Air Mobility Command.
- Home to the 94th Airlift Wing providing tactical training on C-130 aircraft to ensure readiness for worldwide U.S. military and humanitarian operations.
- Home to the Georgia Air National Guard responsible for rapid deployment and "build-up" of an integrated force with state-of-the-art communications equipment and multi-skilled personnel.
- Home to the Georgia Army National Guard who responds to domestic emergencies and disasters.
- Home to the US Air Reserves who provide trained, equipped, and ready soldiers and cohesive units to meet the global requirements across the full spectrum of operations.